Penne Ala Vodka is a comfort food meal that is perfect when its cold outside!
- Cooked penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream at room temperature/or almond silk–not as thick
- 1/2 cup gluten free vodka (white wine will work too)
- Heat about 2 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add 1/4 cup chopped onion and sauce for 5 minutes.
2. Next, add 1 minced garlic clove (about 1 tsp) and sauce for 1 minute. Add 28oz can diced tomatoes with juices and 1/2 cup vodka or white wine. For an extra kick add 1/2 Tbsp of red pepper flakes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream (room temperature)or almond milk and stir for about 5 minutes or until thickened.(almond milk will not thicken unless you add cornstarch as a thickening agent)
Serve over penne or any pasta.
Notes: If you are keeping this gluten free be sure the vodka is a potato based vodka. The red pepper flakes are optional.
I have also used Rotel mild tomatoes for a spicier sauce but I do not recommend both spicy tomatoes and red pepper flakes! I also have tried almond milk instead of the heavy cream—it will NOT be a thick sauce if you use the almond milk but its still a nice sauce.
Have fun experimenting with my sauce and let me know if you find any other yummy variations! 🙂